Happy weekend everyone!
Before I get into the deliciousness of these fluffy vegan banana blueberry pancakes, let me just get something off my chest quickly: I am so grateful for the mind-blowing feedback about my ED posts (here, here and here) and the words of encouragement I have received about starting to health coach. You. guys. are. the. best.
Now, back to these glorious pancakes...I don't eat pancakes very often, but every now and then I get a major craving for them. With frozen berries in the freezer and overripe bananas on the counter at all times, I can always whip up some pancakes whenever that craving creeps in.
These banana blueberry pancakes are vegan and gluten free. Nutritionally speaking they are a bit on the indulgent side, but who doesn't love a good weekend treat. Make sure the bananas are really ripe to get the best flavour. If they are covered in brown spots, they are good to go. If you're looking for an eggy version with maca, these might be for you.
Fun fact about bananas
The more ripe bananas are, the easier they become to digest. They also have higher levels of antioxidants as they ripen. Another interesting fact is that ripened bananas produce a substance called TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor), which is an anti-cancer substance that helps combat abnormal cell development.
If you've never made a flax egg before, don't be scared! Flax "eggs" are an easy substitute in most recipes calling for just one or two eggs. They’re a great option for vegans and those allergic to chicken eggs. All you have to remember is to use freshly ground flax seeds instead of store-bought ground flaxseeds, as this will work much better in the recipe.
In case you're feeling extra crazy and want to add some vegan chocolate sauce over your pancakes (I don't judge, promise), look no further. All you need is these three ingredients and a mixing bowl.
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice, or to taste (I usually use maple syrup)
Are you drooling yet?
I know I am.
Vegan Banana Blueberry Pancakes (Serves 2)
4 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 cup of water
2 tsp baking powder
2 very ripe bananas
1 cup non-dairy milk (we used almond)
1 cup of blueberries
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of ground buckwheat (buckwheat flour)
Coconut oil for cooking
1. Start by making your flax eggs: mix the ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl, mix with a fork and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Mix all your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices).
3. Mash your bananas and add to the dry mix along with the mix, vanilla and flax eggs.
4. Once all well mixed, add the blueberries and mix gently.
5. Heat up a pan with a small tsp of coconut oil.
6. Add 2 big tbsp of the mixture at a time and cook.
7. Add homemade vegan chocolate sauce.
8. Sprinkle with fresh blueberries and coconut flakes before serving.